Your tap water contains much more than just water. Most tap water contains minerals and other compounds. Many people are surprised to learn that most tap water contains some amount of chlorine. Chlorine is best known as a cleaner for swimming pools, but most municipalities use it to disinfect their tap water as well.
However, the level of chlorine in your water can vary – some cities filter almost all of the chlorine out of your water before it reaches your home, while others are less effective at doing so. Luckily, there are ways to remove chlorine from your tap water for safer and tastier drinking water.
Treated tap water contains very low levels of chlorine and therefore is usually safe to consume. The CDC recommends that drinking water contain less than four milligrams per liter of chlorine. Although there are other ways to treat drinking water, many cities continue to use chlorine because it is cost-effective and kills a variety of dangerous bacteria.
Using chlorine to treat well water can also come with complications. You’ll need to make sure that you keep chlorine levels low enough to be safe, which can be difficult to do on your own. Many well owners use UV light treatments or other chlorine alternatives that are safer.
While small amounts of chlorine are safe to drink, consuming larger amounts can lead to health complications in the long run. Large amounts of chlorine can irritate your eyes and respiratory system.
In fact, you may have noticed these symptoms before if you’ve swam in a chlorinated pool. Additionally, chlorine can increase asthma symptoms and cause headaches.
On top of that, chlorinated water can also be very unpleasant to drink. Chlorine can result in an off putting smell and cause your water to taste bitter or metallic. Showering with water that has a high chlorine content can also dry out your skin and hair and leave you feeling itchy. Even if you aren’t noticing any adverse health effects, removing chlorine from your home’s water supply will make drinking, showering, and cleaning a more pleasant experience.
If you suspect high levels of chlorine in your water, the first step is to have your water tested by a professional. They can determine if the amount of chlorine present in your water is safe to drink, as well as if there are any other contaminants you should watch out for.
A professional can also recommend the best way to remove chlorine from your water supply. There are a few different ways to do this. A reverse osmosis system can remove some chlorine from your water and may be an effective solution if your levels are already low.
For higher concentrations of chlorine, a whole-house water filtration system is typically the most effective.
If you think you may have chlorine in your water supply, Atlantic Coast Water Clinic can help. We offer a wide variety of water testing and treatment solutions for our clients throughout south Florida. Give us a call at 772-283-4767 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.